Diplomates may voluntarily surrender their certification before their certification expires unless involved in an ABIH® ethics case. The list of former Diplomates who have voluntarily surrendered is published on the ABIH web site.
A Diplomate who surrenders their certification:
- Can continue to practice IH
- Can use the ABIH certification designations only when referencing the years of active certification, e.g., Smythe Johns, CIH®, 1990-2009
- Cannot use the ABIH embossing seal or stamp
- Is removed from the ABIH email distribution list
- Is relieved of CM requirements and fees
- Can reactivate at any time
- Is subject to ABIH ethics case procedure provisions if found to be in violation of the voluntary surrender terms
Also see the CM FAQ for additional information when retiring from a job. Retirement does not automatically mean that the Diplomate must surrender their certification.
Former Diplomates can continue to be listed in the ABIH online roster depending upon their status with ABIH.
|In Good Standing*||
|Not In Good Standing||
* No unresolved ethics issues, and current on all fees (due before the end of a CM cycle).